Last month I introduced you to my completely made-up diet called The Sparkle Plan. Check it out here. The Sparkle Plan consists of big and small goals. The big goals are to keep you motivated throughout the year and the small goals are your monthly objectives. Here are mine:
- I would like to lose 25 pounds by the end of 2014.
- Run a 5K.
Small Goals – Month 1
- Since my back is still getting better I can’t do too much in terms of exercise (which is killing me!). But once I get the green light from the doctor, I’m going to start small. I would like to do 30 minutes of exercise 6 days a week. It doesn’t even have to be 30 straight minutes. Just purposeful movement for 30 minutes. Dog walks not included.
- No eating after 9pm.
- We are on M&M overload in my office. I don’t want to deny myself completely. So I will allow myself one day to have some M&Ms. The other 4 days I’m at work = no chocolately goodness for moi.
I know you’re all dying to find out how I did. Big, deep breath… here goes.
The bad news is that I didn’t lose any weight this month. The good news is that I stayed at the same weight. What in the hell am I talking about? Well, turns out that straining one’s back takes longer to heal than I would have liked. So exercise was not easy to do without reinjuring myself. (And apparently I shouldn’t try shoveling my car out of the snow either.) In the exercise/eat healthy balance, I’ve always been better on the exercise front. That means if I didn’t gain weight and I wasn’t working out that I did much better eating. Yay me!
Eating after 9pm – for the most part, I rocked this goal. There were a couple nights I derailed – a couple birthdays, one night involving the movies and wine afterwards and one night when I seriously forgot to look at the clock. Silly Kerri! But overall, I’m happy with this one.
M&Ms – same here. I rocked it. Giving myself one day to have them helped me not see my goal as a challenge or a threat. I could have M&Ms one day, so the other four days weren’t hard to get through.
Now, it’s time for the Month 2 Goals.
Small Goals – Month 2
- Continue the no eating after 9pm and M&Ms only one day a week.
- Walking doesn’t seem to hurt my back and my doctor cleared me for it, so I’m vowing to walk three times a week for at least 40 minutes – either outside or on the treadmill at the gym.
- My arms are beginning to resemble large balloons filled with pudding. So I’m going to do 10 pushups (yes, of the girl variety) a day, as well as arm circles.
- You don’t even want to know what my mid-section looks like. Seriously! I’m going to do 50 crunches (in various forms) a day.
I watch a lot of television. Proudly! Goals #3 & 4 are designed to do on commercial breaks. We’ll see how it goes.
Your turn – I want to know how you did! If you made a goal last month, share in the comments your challenges and successes. If you’re new to The Sparkle Plan, feel free to let us know what your goal is now. Or just give us all a supportive box of chocolate. Wait, no! I meant give us an internet hug. 😉
*I am not a doctor or anything close to a doctor. In fact, I wouldn’t even be able to play a doctor on TV – too many technical words. Always consult your own physician before embarking on any fitness or eating plan.