Most of the writers I know aren’t only writers, they are moms, wives, aunts, lawyers, teachers, doctors, PR Divas (oh, that’s me:), and a laundry list of other things all of which must get done.
I want to talk about making time, and what tricks, commitments, decisions, we make to do that thing we want to do. And for most of us, that thing, isn’t just one, but many.
Right now, I’m working hard to be organized. But I need help. Seriously. It’s just hard to sit alone and write. I wish I could say it some other way, but the truth is you must be supremely self-motivated and a bit selfish to an extent, to spend such big slices of your life in front of a computer – alone.
Yeah, that’s how I spent the weekend, and yes, I am happy with the results (writing-wise), but I’m also wondering what did I miss. Let’s make a list and see how I scored!
1. Exercise – 0 (made it from the bed to the computer to the terrace to the living room to the kitchen, to the computer – yep, you get the picture – and it ain’t pretty).
2. Reading – 8 (finished the first book of J.R. Ward’s Dagger vampire series – jeez, just give me Wrath for an hour, please).
3. Family – 4 (My son returned from his world travels, and we spoke for a few minutes. I talk to my mom every day, so okay).
4. Friends – 8 (if we count emails and Facebook, I rule.)
5. Writing – 9 (but don’t ask how many words, I’m taking a course on scenes and rewrote a MAJOR scene, which took two freaking days).
6. Bitching – 4 (I’m just counting this post).
So, tell me, how do you writers, authors, who in addition to writing, publishing, marketing, get it all done? Give me the secret! I don’t even have small kids (or a full-time man, husband, etc. to keep happy either), and still I am swamped!
Okay, I don’t want to be too much of a sour puss – I do believe that continuous effort is key. They say no matter what you’ve got to keep writing. So maybe I should be saying, I intend to keep trying to do this writing thing, and other things, better and better, and better.
But I sure wouldn’t mind a tip or two…