If you’ve seen this already, I hope you enjoy it again.
To all my writing sisters out there going to RWA Nationals—
• Be careful on your trip.
• Stay safe
• Have fun
• Learn lots
• Meet new friends (finally meet face to face with those you’ve only talked to via on-line loops, chats, etc.)
• Be inspired
• Be amazed
• Be safe (again)
• Be supportive
• Be loving
• Be kind to others
• Don’t sweat the small stuff
• Don’t forget 7 pairs of clean panties (read about forgetting underwear on trip—not good unless you are used to going without)
• Don’t walk out of the ladies room with t.p. stuck to the bottom of your shoe (or your dress caught in your pantyhose)
• When squeezing lemon into your water, cup both hands around your lemon wedge to keep the juice/ seeds from flying in a potential agent/editor’s eyes. (I saw it in a social film once—don’t ask.)
• Remember to warm the cognac in your hand—should be served at room temperature in a snifter . . . oh, wait a minute, those are notes from my recent research—never mind. (Use the information only if needed.)
• If hot, male romance cover model comes up to you and asks if you are his next cover partner . . . say “Heck yes!” and you need lots of practice with him before the photo shoot (just make sure hubby is not around—best if you are single)
• Be Safe (can’t say it enough)
• If asked how you come up with sex scenes for your novels just smile and give them a look of pure, thought-provoking enjoyment. (They’ll get the picture. No words needed.)
• Remember—before you can take over the world, you must first be able to make a really flaky pie crust. (A guy in my senior high school class wrote that in my yearbook. I didn’t understand at first—I thought he was crazy—but it makes sense. If you can make a really flaky pie crust, you probably can take over the world. Whoever came up with the phrase ‘simple as pie’ was an idiot!) Doesn’t have much to do with conference or writing but…thought I would share.
• Oh and finally . . . stay safe.
14 thoughts on “For Those Going to Nationals . . .”
Unfortunately I will not be at Nationals this year. I’m really bummed because it was soooo much fun last year. For those of you going, have a blast and…stay safe! 🙂
Thanks Dana for posting. You and I will have our own party. I started already with a Sangria wine cooler, what about you? LOL 🙂
I am leaving in the morning and haven’t even thought about packing. Obviously–if I’m visiting websites. LOL.
I plan to be safe, and I will be hyper-vigilant regarding toilet paper and lemon squeezing.
No plans to make any flaky pie crusts though. Thank God.
Well as I stated, have a safe trip! Good luck to you on anything you maybe doing (contests, interviews, etc.).
I’m always a procrastinator too when it comes to packing for myself.
Something tells me the hotel probably won’t let you use their kitchen to bake a pie anyway–they might be too busy trying to appease hundreds of romance authors for a banquet or something.
Have a great time . . . oh and ‘stay safe’. 😉
Thanks Loni! I’m bringing my two bodyguards who are in the thick of rugby season so I think I have safety covered! Hubby and son plan to escort me anytime I’m not physically in the hotel!
You won’t have any problems with safety then. Have a great time!
Hugs to your bodyguards! Best of luck to them in their season.
Anybody who forget their underwear has a great excuse to go shopping! Did anybody say Fifth Avenue or bust?
Any excuse to shop! LOL My luck I wouldn’t stop with just underware. How many suitcases for a shopping trip needed? Just mail everything back home!
I’m heading back to DC tomorrow – wrapping up in Vegas – and then I’ll unpack and re-pack:), and this time I’ll remember the panties.
Thanks for posting I missed it the first time.
Wow! Traveling all over the place aren’t you? Will you be able to slow down after NYC? Did you have a chance to do laundry in between? LOL. Take Susan’s advice and just shop when you get to NYC. 🙂
Wonderful post, Loni. You forgot to mention the bedbug spray, though:))))
I really did forget to pack underwear one year at the retreat. Boy, did I feel dumb. Fortunately, it was only a two-day event!
Thanks for stopping by! You are right, I did forget to mention bedbug spray! I’m hoping it’s not needed, but good idea!
Good luck to you and enjoy your trip. Just make sure the underwear is there too this time.
I don’t know now. I might just forget my underwear in case that hot male model does approach me. Ow ow! 😉
Finishing my packing today and by this time tomorrow I will be in NYC (hopefully). Can’t wait! Mermaids-represent!
I’ll be tweeting all week, @QuestionKerri.
You are a woman after my own heart! LOL
Have fun! But remember . . . stay safe! 😉
Comments are closed.