Yes, the holidays are around the corner, which means the New Year is almost here and its time to start thinking about resolutions.
I know, I know, I know.
Ugh…who hates resolutions? Raise your hand (arms raised, hands waving wildly).
It’s a no win situation. You sit down, you make a list of resolutions and what happens? You end up starting the year feeling overwhelming pressure – make a change, keep on track, finish, start, begin again, yada, yada, yada. I don’t believe in resolutions (other than I will finish my three books sworn to finish for the WRW challenge, and I will submit to every publisher on my hit list, as well as editors and agents, again, again, and again, etc.).
But today, I decided to go for a bit of a reversal. I created a list of things I don’t know, and don’t care if I ever learn (kind of)…and I’d like you to join me in this anti-resolution list making thing.
It’s freeing, publicly admitting what you don’t know, and don’t care if you ever find out…okay, I was struggling for a blog post topic and this is what happened:
My top 10 list of things I don’t know!
- Existentialism – I know nothing.
- Google Circles – What is it?
- Shooting a Gun – All my heroines end up pulling a pistol, Glock 45, or other weapon of destruction (mostly stakes) and I’ve never shot a gun or staked a vampire, and not sure I want to.
- Money laundering – It’s a plot device in one of my stories, but it’s so freaking complicated! The money’s here. The money’s there. Jeez.
- BDSM – Mmmmm….
- Teen Wolf on MTV – Why do I love it so?
- Why has John Rodgers, show runner of TNT’s Leverage, ignored the Parker/Hardison romance in Season 5? He’s just giving it lip service and now I don’t care about it!
- James Patterson, author – How the hell does he write so many books so fast?
- Why did Buffy never tell Spike she loved him in Season 7?
- Why isn’t ABC’s Scandal the Top Show on TV – It’s dirty, it’s sinful, it’s sexy, gosh, it’s super sexy, and it’s so wrong!…
Okay that’s my list. You don’t have to go for 10, just one will do or just say hi!
Happy New Year (nearly a month early:)…
17 thoughts on “2012 Year End List: 10 Things I Don’t Know (no snickering please)”
What do I not know? Wow, this list could go on forever. I’ll just hit the big ones…
1. Sports Figures. I have no idea who the big names are. When people give me incredulous looks and say, “You don’t know such and such?” I shrug and say, “Don’t care.”
2. Celebrity gossip. Same thing. When I confess that I hadn’t heard that A and B are divorced, people say, “Have you been living under a rock?” To which I happily reply, “yep.”
Great post, Denny!
Doesn’t it feel a bit more powerful to say out loud – I don’t know and I don’t care? I love it. Your list is fabulous! Thank you Mermaid Pintip.
Love the post!
I’ll add mine:
* Trying to understand the middle east crisis
I’ve tried but it’s much to complex.
* Politics…same issue.
* Why the country gives a hoot about the Kardashian’s and their drama.
* Why celebrities and athletes seem to have all the money
And the power to get away with most things we would
Never be able to.
Those are just a few.
Merry Christmas to everyone and Happy New Year
Thanks Loni, and yes, politics? So freaking ‘don’t know’ I don’t know how to say it:)! And your list – also fantastic.
What I know would be a short list in comparison.
1. The rules of football. What is a first down? They all fall down.
2. A foreign language. Conjugating in English is difficult enough.
3. Anything about ‘the Lord of the Rings’ series. Middle Earth? Is there a ‘Bottom Earth’?
4. Reality TV. Really that’s real?
“They all fall down” just made me laugh out loud. Yep. I hear you on that one. And OMG! How much do I don’t care about Middle Earth! Seriously. But great list. Thank you for stopping by.
You know what I REALLY don’t know? Expressions. I always mix them up. Half one and a dozen another… or whatever. I must have been absent the day we all learned them. Le sigh.
Now regular resolutions? I excel. Why? Because they are goals set out in list form. And I always check everything off my list. I heart lists!!!!! Also, I make resolutions that are actually keep-able, like flossing my teeth every day or organizing one of the cabinets in my kitchen. I’m awesome that way. 😉
I thought about you as I made my little list all organized. You are such a star Mermaid Kerri. (Didn’t get to let you know but your “Sea” pub recognition rocked.
Great post Denny and if you ever want some first hand experience to add a little realism to those heroines come to my house and I’ll teach you about guns. 😉
My list–and this barely scratches the surface of what I don’t know…
1. I agree with Loni, the Kardashian’s or any celebrity really. I don’t get it. I don’t understand why people enjoy hearing about their drama. I have enough of my own drama to worry about those clowns.
2. I don’t understand how some authors can write so many books so fast. It baffles the mind. That I might actually like to know though. 🙂
3. My teenage daughters’ obsessions with fandoms. I mean seriously, what the heck IS a fandom anyway?
Hey Mermaid Dana – I may take you up on that shooting business, seriously. With the stuff I write, I need to have a better frame of reference:)! Yeah, I can’t even pronounce Kardashian…:)…Your list is fab.
Give me a call and we’ll make it happen, Chicky!
So many things…
1. Why it’s called the “fiscal cliff.” Why not the canyon? The waterfall? Why not the “fiscal Mt. Everest”? As in, go there. Die. That kind of stuff.
2. What pantsers think when they’re writing. My thoughts are usually “I am writing. This is hard! How can anyone do this fast? Damn, this is hard!”
3. Why I can’t think of what I don’t know. It’s hard enough to remember what I do know, and hard enough to care even about that!
I literally turn off TVs and other streaming devices as soon as I hear or see the words ‘fiscal cliff’. And your number 2 is TOO real. And Happy Holidays to you, too.
1. Quantum Mechanics.
2. What bad books sell well and good books get short shrift (well, I guess I do want to know more about this one, but it would likely just depress me…).
3. How to perform oral surgery. Just no.
4. Why there are double stuffed Oreos but not double stuffed Nutter Butters (again, this one I’d be willing to do a little work on).
5. Why the sky is blue. I don’t need to know. I just need to enjoy it, right?
Great list, Denny!
You know I pretend to know a wee little bit about Quantum Physics, but Mechanics? Oh H, no. And hey, I hear you on books, surgery and all of it. Thanks for stopping by!
Funny lists! I am puzzled by why some people think it’s okay that if you make more money, you should pay less percentage wise than the others. That’s like philosophy from people from outer space. I don’t understand people who spend hours putting on makeup. I don’t understand why people bother having affairs. I can’t quite figure out why our dog persists in wanting to sniff our tomcat’s butte (though I take comfort in knowing that our cat doesn’t get it either.) I cant’ figure out racism now why some city people think they are better than someone who chooses to live in the country. Yeah, I could write a bunch more things but the world is a big place.
I love your list! There are so, so, soooo many things that I don’t know or understand. Some I care about, others? Not so much.
I’m with Pintip about the names of sports players. Never know them. Don’t care to unless their kid is friends with my kid. 🙂
Gravity! There’s one I can’t wrap my mind around. It’s kinda cool, kinda surprising, kinda confusing. What if one day it just decides it doesn’t feel like doing its job anymore? Will we all be whipped right off the planet?
I’m with everyone else. I don’t care or even let myself watch one second about the Kardashians. It’s ridiculous.
I’d rather stick with my own set of dramas instead of listening to complete strangers discuss and act out theirs on national television.
Thanks for the chuckle, Denny!
Comments are closed.