10 Dec 2014 3 Comments
I’m so excited to interview our very own Mermaid-Kerri Carpenter today. We are all flipping our sparkly fins in the lagoon as we celebrate the release of THE BEST KIND OF LOVE.
I was privileged to be on the ground level of her post yesterday. We were roomies in NYC for the RWA conference, and I was also in her critique group when she started writing Penelope and Ethan’s story.
We started out as a group of six, but a few dropped out, and then three of us stuck it out. We had the best critique group ever. We met at a local bar/restaurant and drank mojitos with cool sugar cane stirrers. We drank. We ate. We laughed. Then we would discuss our books. Best. Critique. Group. EVER.
My favorite scene in THE BEST KIND OF LOVE is when the heroine shoves the hero off the porch and into the rose bush. Hope that’s not a spoiler alert. Is it? Sorry! But, I so loved that scene. It was the type of scene where it just comes alive in your mind. I could completely see it. I loved Penelope’s awesome blend of feisty and vulnerable.
In the spirit of Christmas, I have to sing, “These are a few of my favorite things” about this book. 1) Second-chance love. 2) Feisty yet vulnerable characters. 3) Family dynamics. 4) Fabulous sisters x4! 5) Small-town setting.
This book has it all!
Now, I’d like to ask Kerri some fun questions that James Lipton asks at the end of INSIDE THE ACTORS STUDIO:
1. What is your favorite word? Any two words (or parts of words) combined like awesomesauce, asshat, glittertastic.
2. What is your least favorite word? (I CAN’T believe I’m going to say this but I truly hate, hate, hate this word.) Titties
3. What turns you on? Kindness and loyalty. A really good bottle of wine and some candles doesn’t hurt either.
4. What turns you off? Intentional meanness.
5. What sound or noise do you love? The sound of waves crashing on the beach.
6. What sound or noise do you hate? Whistling
7. What is your favorite curse word? Fuck-balls
8. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? I always wanted to play a villain on a Soap Opera or be an MTV VJ in the 90s.
9. What profession would you not like to do? Dishwasher, because there’s nothing I hate more than washing dishes!
10. If heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the pearly gates? You did a great job! I’m proud of you. Come see everyone – they’ve been waiting.
Man, Kerri, that last answer reminds me of The Titanic when the old woman dies after tossing that diamond into the ocean (WTH?) and her younger spirit moves through the ship seeing everyone again. Then she sees Jack. I don’t know what brought tears to my eyes. Their short-lived yet eternal romance or the fact that she threw that damn diamond into the ocean. Probably the diamond.
Does anyone have a question for Kerri? One lucky commenter will be swimming away with a free copy of THE BEST KIND OF LOVE.